Internet is often seen as virtual. But the Internet is primarily the linking of computers or servers and computing resources via routes called networks. If digital uses to revolutionize the use of transport are still marginalized, the Cloud trends allow for their presage a new dynamic to the Green Internet.
Decentralization announced by the new digital usages has not up to expectations. Remote work and videoconferencing still remain culturally misunderstood tools; business travel have certainly dropped a little but more due to the reduction in corporate budgets … Moreover, a closer look will show the proliferation of online orders do not favor this as reducing freight transport or packaging waste.
If customs do not allow the Green Revolution, one can observe that the digital industry is striving for its part to meet this challenge, not least for matters of cost cutting. Let the components of the digital industry one by one :
– Networking : the smart grid is likely to remain marginal in France and in developed countries, although intellectually multi-purpose network merger is very interesting; the real revolution is the passage of the copper (more expensive) to the optical fiber. Whatever the current debate on rapid deployments, fiber optics is gaining ground and that’s good because it provides real environmental benefits: lightweight, recycling, pose …
– Servers : Three components are taken into account: power, power consumption and materials. For the latter, the commonly used steel poses no major problem in terms of production or recycling. Rather it is the heart of the server that remains interesting to study. Work on power and heat emission, particularly with the project Moon Shot of HP, are extremely promising. Indeed, with a source reduction of electricity consumption as for use for cooling, the keys of green IT are emerging.
In addition, server virtualization also constitutes a great advance. Taking into account storage needs, data backup corporate and high availability (mirror server), growth is exponential needs.
Virtualization allows to multiply the power of a server by sharing more easily shared servers or multiplying the uses dedicated servers.
Taking into account the cost of existing virtualization solutions, we can imagine that new sources of innovation are still digging and offers open-source clusters will emerge quickly.
– Computer data centers : data centers consume as small towns! As for hosted servers for their inner workings. Reuse of the heat is advantageous but not sufficient. The reflection should cover the overall energy efficiency, with specific measures – which the measure of consumption – and evaluation of collateral damage (projects on groundwater or ice floes). Cooling by ambient air or free cooling is very interesting in this regard; Yet it must be coupled with a requirement of high availability and high density without which these data centers will not meet the requirements of new generations of servers. Then remains the issue of building materials and the source of energy … more complex matters.
– Applications : the calculation of the energy consumption of an application is very trendy and the recommendations are multiplying: no flash, choice of CSS … It is likely that these standards gradually incorporate the specifications for developers and system integrators … in a few years …
– Workstations : the dream is an office without a computer, cables and other devices. And this is happening! Virtualization and cloud provide access to all IT resources through computer networks. We could have simplified communication tool accessing all data, applications … and in some ways we are already living this reality. Then remains the security requirements, confidentiality and access control.
Thus, will the green revolution be the fruit of cloud computing? This poetic vision leaves presage. Just as one can hope that the digital revolution businesses become a pillar of innovation and growth.
More on the Free Cooling by MARILYN